Monday, April 20, 2009

A Salute to The Spirit of Mumbai


Last year in August, I came to Mumbai with my baggage and dreams in my eyes of doing something big as so many people have done it and so many people will do it.
The first thing I noticed after reaching here was the fast life.
It seemed People do not have time for anything. Work has kept them away from everything. Initially one finds it difficult to cope with the Mumbai’s hectic life but in due course of time you become a part of the city and do not mind the hectic pace. How fast life in Mumbai is? At times you feel that Mumbai is a city where people are heartless and business-minded. But this is not always true.
Before coming to Mumbai, I had heard people talking about the undying spirit of Mumbai but never got to know what its all about.
When I recall what happened in Mumbai on 26th November, I am taken aback by the strength and resilience that Mumbaikars exhibited subsequently. That day I was puttering around my flat after a gruelling day at work, performing some mundane yet vitally important household chores. Suddenly I got a call from my close friend R. Sriram(who stays in Santacruz) who told me about the terrorist attack. Immediately I switched on my tv and what I saw was something which was mix of everything – the shock, the fear, the pain,the tears. But the way People helped each other out in such testing times was incredible and speaks volume of the spirit of Mumbai.
'The spirit of Mumbai' isn't just a pretty phrase — it's a reality that comes to the fore every time the city is struck by disaster .
But talking about the spirit of Mumbai without mentioning the life in local trains will be a great injustice to the whole story. Commuting through local trains is not an experience-its an ordeal, and if you want to see real spirit of Mumbai then the local trains are best option one can think of.
Everyday it’s a new experience here. What is Real Mumbai all about? Is it what we get to see everyday? People who are too hard-pressed for time to help themselves let alone help others; or people who go out of the way to help even strangers when disaster strikes.
I salute the undying spirit of Mumbai.

No comments:

Post a Comment